Rss Feed

Renovations take time

I wonder if I can sue DIY or HGTV for the misleading slant of their home improvement shows.  The good news is that they're very empowering, convincing home owners that they can take charge of their own home renovations and/or beautification projects.  The bad news is that they never give you a reasonable estimate of how long the project will take.  If only it was possible to renovate a kitchen over the course of a 30-minute TV episode.  It took me longer than that to figure out how to put a blade in my new utility knife.  And they make painting look so quick and easy.  Have you noticed that they always show one-coat coverage?  Outside of reality TV land, there's no such thing.  And of course you never see how much time, energy and effort goes into preparing the surfaces for paint.  I wonder how many 30-minute segments it would take to show scraping 3 layers of paint off of an entire set of kitchen cabinets BEFORE I can even prime them!

Do I sound like I'm complaining?  I guess I am, a little.  Don't get me wrong, things are going well... just not as quickly as I'd hoped.. After all, it's been 2 weeks and nothing's finished yet!  (OK, so I'm being a little sarcastic here).  I'm tired, and achy, and bruised from tripping over boxes.  I'm sick of eating fast food because I don't have a refrigerator.  As if that wasn't enough, I think I'm having an allergic reaction to all the dust I've unearthed.  So, I took a break last night, and another one tonight.  Now that I'm feeling better, I'll be back in the work boots tomorrow.  I'll post some pictures soon.

0 comments: