Rss Feed

Check your Settlement Statement closely (Part 2)

I feel vindicated.  As I posted last night, I spent quite a bit of time reviewing the Settlement Statement for closing tomorrow.  I had several questions that I was very concerned about.  It took some "pushing", but I was able to get the settlement agent to investigate my concern, and the bottom line was that I was right, reducing my cost by more than $300.  I was also correct in noting that the 2-10 Homeowner's Warranty that the seller had agreed to pay was not included in the Settlement Statement.  That was added today, a value of nearly $400.

Considering that the experts had reviewed the documents several times, and the same documents were also reviewed by the seller's attorney, I'm feeling pretty good about the fact that I was able to find two discrepancies that everyone else missed.  I'll be the first to admit that the documents are daunting and the dollar amounts are intimidating, but please, do yourself a favor and take the time to make sure you understand what you're signing.  And remember, making sure that the math is correct is the easy part.  Anybody who knows how to use a calculator can do that.  But, it's possible for the math to be correct even though the logic is faulty.  And if the logic is faulty, the numbers aren't right.  If you believe in your gut that something's not right, there's a really good chance that it isn't.  Don't give up until you feel your questions have been answered.

0 comments: